Adapted from NYT
- 215 grams coarse-cut orange marmalade (2/3 cup), divided
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus 1/2 tablespoon for glaze, and more for greasing pan
- 150 grams granulated sugar (3/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 190 grams all-purpose flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 7 grams baking powder (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 3 grams fine sea salt (3/4 teaspoon)
- 30 grams confectioners’ sugar (4 tablespoons)
1. Heat oven to 350F/177C degrees. Coarsely chop any extra-large chunks of peel in the marmalade. Line a cupcake tray.
2. Beat together softened butter, sugar, lime zest and orange zest until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Beat in 1/3 cup marmalade and the orange juice.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together self-raising flour and salt. Fold dry ingredients into wet until just combined.
4. Scrape batter into prepared cupcake moulds. Bake until surface of cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre emerges clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven.
5. Empty remaining 1/3 cup marmalade, confectioners’ sugar and 1/2 tbsp butter into bowl and microwave until melted.
7. Slice oranges for decoration to top cake. Set aside.
9. Cool completely before slicing or eat warm if you can’t resist the temptation! (We did the latter. :))