Adapted from All Recipes
Prep: 15 mins (per batch but may vary) / Cook: 10 mins (depending on your oven’s temperature)
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets, or line with parchment paper. Have fortunes ready to go on small strips of paper.
- In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites and sugar on high speed of an electric mixer until frothy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and stir in melted butter, vanilla, almond extract, water and flour one at a time, mixing well after each. Consistency should resemble pancake batter. Spoon the batter into 3 inch circles on the prepared baking sheets. Leave room between for spreading.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges begin to brown slightly. Quickly remove one at a time, place a message in the center, and fold in half. Fold the ends of the half together into a horse shoe shape. If they spring open, place them in a muffin tin to cool until set.
My original ideas:
1. Add coffee essence and/or kahlua and/or instant dissolved espresso powder and/or coffee mix
2. Spreads like…
Or, take a cue from others…