Adapted from My Baking Addiction’s recipe
Yields 12 servings
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Nestle/Hershey’s Cocoa Powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350°F /180°C. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin – like *really* thin BUT don’t worry!).
3. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean OR you can basically see the middle part has risen and will not depress if you take it out of the oven.
5. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely because the cake is very moist and will only hold when cooled completely. If you are impatient, you get molten chocolate lava cake (but that was okay with my Mum! XD I told her to wait…>.>)!
6. Frost as desired. I didn’t frost it, just dusted with icing sugar and served with strawberries. The cake magically disappeared as soon as my family entered the kitchen! o.O